Monday, November 20, 2017

Why do you want the day of the Lord? (11/12/17)


Jesus MAFA, The Ten Young Women


Last week was very busy, so I'm a little bit behind on posting my sermons. This is from Sunday, November 12th. On that morning, we examined the parable of the foolish bridesmaids. This is one of a series of uncomfortable parables in Matthew's Gospel.
Why do you want the day of the Lord? (11/12/17)


Sermon
          Good morning. When I tell people that I’m a pastor, I get a lot of questions about the work and how I do it. Some of the most common questions are:
  • How do you come up with a new sermon every week?
  • Do you ever run out of things to say?
  • How do you pick the scriptures?

          I usually get these questions from people who don’t know me very well. I mean, anybody who knows me knows that I never run out of things to say. But honestly, the scriptures have so much to teach us, that it’s not that difficult to find something that’s teachable and that works as a sermon.
          This week, one of our members asked me how I chose the scriptures, so I told her that I followed the Lectionary. She gave me a blank look. Then I realized that it was a teachable moment, and perhaps I needed to share that with all of you.
          The Revised Common Lectionary is a systematic way to work through the Bible. It offers a series of readings on a three-year cycle, arranged around the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Currently, we are in Year A, which is structured around the Gospel of Matthew. Each year starts with Advent and ends with Christ the King Sunday. So this year, the new year, Year B, begins on December 3rd; that’s when we’ll start hearing lessons from the Gospel of Mark.
          All of the other readings that we hear on a Sunday—the Old Testament lesson, the Psalm, the epistle reading—each of those readings has some sort of connection to the Gospel text.
          Now there’s no rule that says I have to use the Lectionary, but it’s a very useful tool. Most Protestant churches use the Lectionary; the Roman Catholic Church does, too. It helps me to stay focused on the Scripture. The Lectionary keeps me from preaching my own gospel; it keeps me from writing my sermon first, and then finding a Bible story that “proves” I’m right.
          We have two very interesting pieces of Scripture this morning. Each of these texts could be very easily misused to “prove” a point, especially if they are taken out of context. For instance, in the reading from the Book of Amos, what most people remember is verse 24: “let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.” Taken by itself, it presents a nice, easy call for justice and righteousness. Taken as a unit, it draws distinctions between self-righteousness and true righteousness; it reminds us that God’s judgment is not something that any of us should seek. That’s why the text from Amos is paired with the Gospel lesson.
          This morning’s parable from the Gospel of Matthew is part of a longer sequence in which Jesus describes God’s judgment and the coming Kingdom of God. This is a challenging parable; it makes me uncomfortable. It doesn’t quite fit with the rest of Jesus’ teachings. The wise bridesmaids refuse to share their oil with the foolish bridesmaids, and then the foolish bridesmaids were shut out of the wedding banquet. It almost seems like Jesus is saying:
          “Don’t share.”
          “Don’t share with those who don’t have enough.”
          “Look out for yourself.”
          “It’s their fault; you’re not responsible for them.”
          That doesn’t sound like Jesus to me and I don’t want to preach on a text that says, “don’t share.” It seems to me that that’s the opposite of what Christian community is about. But when we start thinking about God’s judgment, we worry about ourselves first. We start thinking about who’s in and who’s out; who is saved and who isn’t. And it’s really easy to say, “I’m righteous; I know I’m in. I know I’m not one of the foolish bridesmaids.” That’s a trap. Jesus set that trap.
          The truth is, most of the time, we want to substitute our judgment for God’s judgment. We believe too easily in our own righteousness and we believe that other people ought to be righteous in exactly the same ways. That’s always a big mistake. As much as we say we believe in grace, we act as if we can work out our own salvation, and once we’ve worked it out, our work is done. But it isn’t. Salvation isn’t a one-time event and there’s no formula.
          In two weeks, you’re going to hear the parable of the sheep and the goats. That story is also called the judgment of the nations. In that story, Jesus addresses the disciples and the crowds that have gathered around him, and offers a definition of righteousness: The righteous people are those who feed the hungry, provide water to the thirsty, clothe the naked, visit the prisoners and the sick, and welcome the stranger. Those are the sheep, the people who follow the call of the shepherd, the Christ.
          The people ask Jesus, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” Jesus responds that whenever anyone does any of those things for anyone, they have done it for Jesus. The reverse is also true. Any time that anyone fails to feed the hungry, take care of the sick, or welcome the stranger, they have failed to do that for Jesus.
          The word parable means to cast beside. That is, a parable asks us to hold one thing, one image, one idea next to another. The parables invite us to look at ourselves, to cast ourselves into each of the roles.
          In the parable of the sheep and the goats, neither the righteous people nor the unrighteous people know when they helped Jesus, or when they ignored Jesus. The same is true in the parable of the bridesmaids. We aren’t simply the wise bridesmaids or the foolish bridesmaids; we’re both. We are wise and foolish in equal measure. Our lamps are always empty and we always have enough oil.
          I believe that through this parable, Jesus calls us to live gracefully. But what does that look like?
          When I was in seminary, I was a terrible note-taker. That’s only half true. I’ve always been terrible at taking notes. I will not serve as secretary of any organization. My mind wanders when I take notes and I write very slowly. I hate writing by hand; my signature looks a little bit different every time I sign a check.
          My dear friend Charissa—the Reverend Charissa Howe, I’ve probably mentioned her before—is an excellent note-taker. We joke that she got me through seminary. If we were in a class together, I wouldn’t bother taking notes. I knew Charissa would share her notes and they’d be better than my notes.
          Sure, she still teases me about it, but she never got bitter or resentful. She never said no and she probably would have shared them with anyone who asked. She didn’t learn any less by sharing; her grades didn’t go down.
          And honestly, I’m sure I would have passed all of my classes if she hadn’t shared her notes. I might have B or a C instead of an A or a B, but I’d probably still be here today if she hadn’t helped me, though it might have been more stressful, a little more difficult.
          In the grand scheme of things, my seminary grades aren’t all that important. What is important is that we became really good friends in the process. I learned how caring and compassionate she is; I learned that I can trust her. And I learned that she’s enough of a smart-aleck to tease me about it. So, we have that in common, too.
          The grace in the parable of the bridesmaids is the invitation to constantly look at ourselves. This is how we avoid the trap of self-righteousness. When we see ourselves as the foolish bridesmaids, we are reminded that we are always in need and that we can’t do this on our own. When we see ourselves as the wise bridesmaids, we are reminded that we always have something to share, something that is needed by someone else. As we hold these two ideas next to one another, we can live differently and more faithfully. We can shore more and we can receive more. Thanks be to God. Amen.

Benediction

          Now, beloved, as you depart from this place, remember that we are called to be the Church, the body of Christ in the world today. Remember that we are both the wise bridesmaids and the foolish bridesmaids. We are called to go forth and be instruments of God’s love and peace and love and reconciliation. Do not return evil for evil to any person, but know that we are all loved by God, and that we are called to reflect that love to everyone we meet. Go forth and be the salt of the earth and the light of the world. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, let all God’s children say, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment