Friday, February 16, 2018

Glimpses of Glory (2/11/18)

The fountain in Century III Mall; the former Kaufmann's location is behind the fountain.

Last Saturday I visited Century III Mall. On Sunday, we considered the account of the Transfiguration as it's presented in the Gospel of Mark. I used my visit to the mall to illustrate this story. I also offered a story of transformation from a Presbyterian church in Canada.

Glimpses of Glory (2/11/18)
Do not play in this fountain!

Sermon
          Good morning. Yesterday I officiated a funeral at Ferguson’s, and for reasons that are totally uninteresting, I decided to return home by Route 51. On the way home, I stopped at Century III Mall. I didn’t need anything; I didn’t want to shop for anything. I just wanted to see the mall.

A few tables and chairs remain in the food court area.
          It’s been at least ten years, and maybe longer, since I was there. At that time, many of the stores were still open; so was the food court. Now there are only about twenty stores that are still open. There used to be over two hundred. There used to be five anchor stores. Originally those were Sears, Kaufmann’s, J.C. Penney, Gimbels, and Montgomery Ward. Now there are only two anchor stores: J.C. Penney and Dick’s Sporting Goods. Dick’s only occupies one floor of a two-story space; Penney’s is closing. Whole sections of the mall are roped off.
J.C. Penney is still open, but the second-floor entrance is closed.
Dick's Sporting Goods occupies a single floor; the original anchor tenant occupied two floors. 
         None of this surprised me. I knew the place was a ghost town. That’s why I stopped. I just wanted to see it for myself. What surprised me was how cold it was inside. Yesterday was a fairly warm day—after the funeral I was warm enough in a long-sleeved shirt, but it was just a little chillier inside the mall.
          I was probably about ten years old, the first time I visited Century III. It was so full of people and full of life, and there were so many different kinds of shops. It made the malls of my hometown—the Washington Mall and the Franklin Mall—seem so rinky-dink. A visit to Century III reminded me of all the stuff we didn’t have in Washington.
One anchor store occupied the space at the end of this corridor, another was located to the right.
          Then after that first trip to Century III, my dad told me the history of the location. He told me that used to be a slag dump, and then he told me about the spectacle—he told me how people used to come there on a Saturday night to watch the slag being dumped. He said the whole sky lit up when one of those ladles was tipped over. He said it was one of the coolest things he ever saw.
          I never saw slag getting dumped. The steel mills were still going at full blast when I was a little kid, but I was too young to appreciate what all that meant. I couldn’t see all those jobs. I didn’t realize my own connection to the life of the mills until the jobs began to go away in the 80s. Those were my formative years; I only knew the spectacle of the slag dump from the stories my father told.
          Our Gospel reading this morning is Mark’s account of the Transfiguration. This story is so important, so central to our understanding of who Jesus is, that it appears in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Jesus is transfigured; his clothes became a dazzling white, Moses and Elijah appeared and talked with Jesus, and then the voice of God came from the clouds: “This is my son, the Beloved; listen to him!” In that moment, Peter, James, and John know exactly who Jesus is and they know they’ve been commanded to follow him; they heard the voice of God on the mountain top. They have been changed, but they can’t stay there.
          Often, in this part of the sermon, I try to explain something in the reading. But not today. No, today, I want you to linger over the image of the Transfiguration, of Jesus shining. Think of the dazzling, radiant white. Hold that image in your head.
          Now think of the image of the slag dump, as the railroad cars are pouring the molten slag on the hillside. I know a lot of you are old enough to remember what that looked like. You didn’t even have to drive to West Mifflin; back in the day, you could see slag dumped here in Rostraver Township, too. That was one hill over from where my dad grew up.
Slag run-off from an open hearth furnace, Republic Steel, Youngstown, OH (1941)
          U.S. Steel stopped dumping slag in West Mifflin in 1969. As the suburbs of Jefferson Hills were built out, U.S. Steel looked to unload the land where it had dumped all that slag—the land was no longer useful to U.S. Steel. In 1976, the DeBartolo Corporation agreed to buy part of the property in West Mifflin and build a shopping mall. Century III opened for shoppers in 1979; the land became useful again; it was transformed.
          When I was in seminary, I had to write a paper about the theology of a suburban shopping mall. I went to South Hills Village. I realized that malls are constructed in such a way that you don’t really notice the passage of time—there’s some natural light, but the mall is designed so that you don’t really think about the amount of time that you’ve invested in your shopping trip.
More empty spaces
          As I walked through the chilly concourses of Century III yesterday, I felt every passing second. I couldn’t have spent more than fifteen or twenty minutes in there, but it felt like an eternity. It was depressing. I understand that people shop in different places, or they shop online. I shop online. I suppose I don’t really care that Sears is gone, or Montgomery Ward is gone. But I do care that a place where I spent some of my youth is gone. I do care that a place that used to be alive, a place that used to be a vibrant part of the community is gone.
          Like our churches.
          You knew I was going there, didn’t you?
          I read a story this week about a Presbyterian Church in Edmonton, Alberta. For those of you who don’t follow hockey, that’s in Canada. Anyhow, this is the story of the Westmount Presbyterian Church.[1] As I understand it, the church was built in the 1950s, and over the years, additions were built, each with its own heating system.
          In recent years, it became clear that it would cost a small fortune to make repairs to the heating system, and with all of those additions to the building, it was a heat-sieve. So even if they fixed all the furnaces, it would still cost way too much to heat the church. Remember, this is Canada. I’m sure they would laugh at us when we complain about the weather.
          I assume that Westmount was facing the same challenges that most Presbyterian churches face, declining and aging membership. The population of the surrounding neighborhood was also in decline. The school board was considering closing the neighborhood elementary school. And this is where the story goes in a very different direction.
          In recent years, Canada has been very active in resettling refugees and accepting migrants from all over the world. Where the United States has turned its back on Christ’s call to welcome the foreigner, Canada has opened its doors. Where most churches would be paralyzed by fear, Westmount Presbyterian Church saw a strategic opportunity:
Despite their decrepit building and lack of cash, the members [of Westmount Presbyterian Church] asked themselves a bold question: “What others can we help with the resources we have?” says [elder Les] Young.  “Our location is ideal for families. We’re right opposite a school, which was threatened with closure because of lack of students. And we’re on a bus route.”[2]
Instead of wringing their hands, the elders of Westmount Presbyterian Church asked who they could help with their limited resources. That’s astounding!
          They reached out to a local nonprofit, the Right at Home Housing Society. Right at Home deals with refugees. They came up with a plan: the church would deed its land to the nonprofit. In exchange, Right at Home would build a new church and sixteen units of large-family housing. The church would get a 50-year lease on the new building, free of charge, and then ownership would revert to the congregation. As an added bonus, with housing for all these new families, the neighborhood school stayed open, too.
          The story of Westmount Presbyterian Church is a transfiguration story. It is the story of a congregation that was transformed in the midst of challenging circumstances. It is the story of a congregation that sought to share its blessings in a time of fear and scarcity, and in the process, it lived into Christ’s call to be the Church, and it acted with Christ’s love for all of humanity. This is an example of God’s grace made manifest in the world.
          In our story from the Gospel of Mark, God’s grace is made manifest in two ways. Obviously, Jesus’ closest disciples, Peter, James, and John, get to learn the truth, that Jesus is the son of God. They learn the deeper truth behind what they have seen and felt as they journeyed with Jesus. The less obvious way in which God’s grace is made manifest is that Jesus and the disciples come down from the mountain; Peter, James, and John are equipped with this knowledge and they are charged with sharing the knowledge that Jesus is the son of God—they are charged with telling the story and demonstrating the love.
These signs are posted all over the mall; the owners of Century III don't want people to see this story.
          Peter, James, and John made the choice to follow Jesus, and to continue to follow him, even after his death and resurrection; they established the Church. In the midst of a crisis, the folks at Westmount Presbyterian Church chose to continue to follow Jesus, even when their congregation faced its own death.
          I don’t believe that the challenges that face Rehoboth Church are as extreme as those that faced Westmount. But we are at a place where we have to make decisions. Like Peter, James, and John, we cannot stay on the mountaintop; that’s not an option. Those folks at Westmount found something that could give them life; they weren’t trying to rehab the old shopping mall, they sought transformation and now they’re telling the story. That’s how we have to engage with the rest of the world. We have to show people—not tell them—how our lives have been transformed by the love of Christ, then invite them in. Thanks be to God. Amen!

Benediction
          Now, beloved, as you depart from this place, remember that we are called to be the Church, the body of Christ in the world today. We are called to go forth and be instruments of God’s love and peace and love and reconciliation. This is how we live into our baptismal vows. Do not return evil for evil to any person, but know that we are all loved by God, and that we are called to reflect that love to everyone we meet. Go forth and be the salt of the earth and the light of the world. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, let all God’s children say, Amen!



[1] This story comes from a Web site called Green Energy Futures. The site describes itself as “a multi-media storytelling project that is documenting the clean energy revolution that’s already underway. It tells the stories of green energy pioneers who are moving forward in their homes, businesses and communities.” The descriptions that follow are my summary of the story and podcast that I found on their Web site: http://www.greenenergyfutures.ca/episode/canadas-first-net-zero-church
[2] Ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment